1. Paving Job On Mt Vernon .... As I mentioned in my update in January the contractor and supplier of asphalt did a much less than satisfactory job paving the east bound lane on Mt Vernon last fall. Well tomorrow the contractor is coming back to mill and repave the areas of concern. The bulk of the problems are on the east bound lane from the Dunwoody Station entrance to just before the initial turn in to Dunwoody Baptist ... there are some other smaller spots. In addition, the entrances into Ridgeview Rd, Dunwoody Station and the right lane from Mt Vernon to Ashford Dunwoody Rd will be redone. We hope to complete this in one day but it could take longer. Tomorrow's weather of sunny and 80 degree make it a good paving day. While the paving is being done there will be some traffic delays so patience will be required ... suggest you avoid the area if possible. FYI, this is being done at no cost to the city.
2. Intersection Improvements ... The final design for the intersection of Mt Vernon and Vermack is in progress. The objective is to be ready for a public meeting in late May or early June ... check the city website for the actual date. As a general plan there will be left turn lanes installed going westbound and eastbound on Mt Vernon. If all goes well, right-of-way will have to be purchased which will take 6 months or so and construction will start in late spring / early summer 2014.
3. Storm Sewers ... We have three storm sewers that are failing between Dunwoody Village Parkway and Vernon Oaks Dr on Mt Vernon. All three will have to be replaced this summer after school is out. This will mean some road closures and detours. We will try to minimize the closures by starting on a Friday night with the attempt to do all of them at once … or at least two. We need a Saturday to ensure we can get materials from the suppliers in case we run into unexpected problems (they are not open on Sundays).
4. Two Outstanding Community Events. Both of these events are great for community spirit (all your neighbors will be there), run by volunteers and the profits go directly to enhance our park facilities in our City ... it just doesn't get better than that!
5. Lemonade Days ... On April 17-21, 2013 Dunwoody Preservation Trust (DPT) will host Lemonade Days, its annual fund raising event. Lemonade Days 2013 will again feature the same format that we have enjoyed for the past few years. This year we plan to continue our extended carnival hours, add rides, diversify more broadly the food choices and add new activities. This new schedule has been developed based on community feedback to allow families more flexibility in planning their participation. We expect to have outdoor activities including amusement park rides, games, food vending and other individual and family activities. Times are Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 10:00 PM, Friday from 4 to 11 PM, Saturday from 10 AM to 11 PM and Sunday from 12 to 6:00 PM. Additionally there will be a face painting booth and a petting zoo on both Saturday and Sunday. Folks, this is fun for the whole Family of all ages. Also, there maybe a dunk tank with some of your favorite folks.
6. Dunwoody Nature Center "Monarchs and Margaritas" ... The Dunwoody Nature Center’s largest annual fundraiser, Monarchs and Margaritas, will be held at the South Terraces Atrium in Perimeter Center on Saturday, April 27, 2013 from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Festivities include live and silent auctions, music, delicious food and drinks (including margaritas, of course) and a special Birds of Prey show. Auction items include vacation destinations, such as Amelia Island, Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head, Lake Wedowee, and the Blue Ridge Mountains; tickets to sporting events; wine tastings; beautiful art work; and a farm-to-table catered dinner for 12 at a secluded pocket of the Nature Center. Proceeds from the event will benefit the quality programming, environmental education, and outreach efforts of the Nature Center. To purchase tickets ($100 each), donate auction items, view the auction catalog or become a sponsor, visit the event website at www.monarchsandmargaritas.org.
7. Dunwoody Green Farmers Market ... This favorite moves back to the Dunwoody Village Area starting 17 APR 2013 and then ever Wednesday from 0800-1200. The new home is at the parking lot at the Shops Of Dunwoody located at 5500 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd. The exact location will be behind the Bank of North Georgia and across the street from the Sunshine Car Wash.
8. Scam Warning in Dunwoody ... From our outstanding police department .... Recently there have been burglaries/thefts in the Metro Atlanta area involving work crew scams. In these scams, the crew will say they are doing work in the neighborhood or at your neighbors house and it may affect your back yard. They try to get the homeowner out of the house and to the back yard. While walking to the back yard the worker will make a phone call and speak in code or a different language signaling the other members to enter the house and steal items while the homeowner is distracted. Some of these crews have posed as tree cutting companies. Remember any solicitor coming to your door must have a picture ID issued by the City of Dunwoody and they are required to show it to you.
9. Stage Door Players (SDP). For those of you that enjoy a great stage play I highly recommend the current production at our own SDP ... "I Love You, Your Perfect Now Change." Meredy and I saw it last Friday night.with a sold out audience and it was fabulous. A lot of the folks that I see at SDP are around my age .... I highly encourage some of our "younger generation" citizens take advantage of this great community asset. You can call 770-396-1726 for tickets.
10. That is all for now. Please pass this on to all your friends, neighbors, members of your HOA or anyone else you think maybe interested. If anyone would like to be added to my email list please let me know and I will make that happen. Thanks for your continued support and input. Spring is in the air … good times are here again. See you at the City Council meeting tonight.