1. Dunwoody Independence Day Parade … Our parade is not only the biggest in Georgia but also the best. There were over 170 entries in the parade and over 30,000 of the best citizens in the nation lining the parade route. We all owe Pam Tallmadge and Penny Forman - they are in charge of the parade - and all the other volunteers that make our parade a success a vote of thanks. Yes, the entire parade is put on by volunteers … that is what I call great community involvement/spirit. Also a thanks to all the “Chaplains" in our city for the weather prayers that brought us the great weather.
2. Voting … The Georgia Primary run off election takes place on July 22, 2014 at you normal polling place … polls are open from 7 AM to 7 PM. You can also vote in person in Early/Advanced Voting M thru F from 8 AM to 5 PM at DeKalb County Voting Office, 4380 Memorial Dr, Suite 300, Decatur, GA 30032 thru July 18. Absentee voting is also available. Go to this site to get your absentee ballot application … http://sos.ga.gov/elections/elections/voter_information/absentee_ballot_app.pdf. You can either mail the application to the address above, fax it to 404-298-4020 or email it to email@example.com … I recommend faxing or emailing. Dekalb is very good with quick response to get a ballot to you. You must select either a Republican or a Democratic ballot. The Republican ballot has three races … U. S. Senate, State School Superintendent and the very important DeKalb County Sheriff. The Democratic ballot has two races … State School Superintendent and the very important DeKalb County Sheriff. Who ever you are voting for PLEASE vote. I hope Dunwoody has a lot higher voter turnout than we did at the Primary Election in May.
3. Property Appeal … Just a reminder to everyone that if you are going to appeal your 2013 property tax assessment the deadline in next Monday, July 14. Your appeal must be done in writing and postmarked no later than July 14. Appeal information/instructions are on the property tax assessment that you received from DeKalb County.
4. Road Closure … The following note is from our Public Works Dir. concerning a road closure on Mt Vernon in the area of All Saints Church. This is to replace a deteriorating storm sewer drain that runs beneath Mt Vernon Rd. We make it a practice to replace all deteriorating storm sewer pipes prior to paving a road. "We have a storm water pipe under Mount Vernon between North Peachtree Road and Jett Ferry Road that needs to be replaced. The work is scheduled to start Friday night, July 11 at 7 p.m. and continue until complete Saturday evening or Sunday. A detour will be set up for through traffic on Mount Vernon via Dunwoody Club and Jett Ferry. There will be local access for all businesses and residents in the area.” The following website give more detailed information as well as a detour map. http://www.dunwoodyga.gov/home/News-Details/14-07-09/Road_Closure_on_Mt_Vernon_Road_7_11-7_14.aspx
4. New Fire Equipment … Tomorrow, July 11 at 2 PM DeKalb County (DC) Fire Rescue will be placing a brand new state of the art Fire Pumper (Fire truck in our words) is service at Station 12 located on Roberts Dr by Dunwoody Senior Baseball Park. The community is invite to come and observe the ceremony. We have also have been advised that DC has (6) 70 Ft ladder truck in production and one of those truck will be placed in our Dunwoody Fire Station 21 located on Crown Park Parkway.
5. Traffic … Remember that our fellow pedestrian citizens have rights to cross the street in crosswalks. If you see someone in a crossway on your side of the road they have the right of way. A yield sign does not give the driver right of way over a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Lets all be courteous to our fellow citizens and take care of each other. A word to the wise … our Police has stepped up enforcement of crosswalk violators.
6. Community Beautification … A step to enhance our community appearance would be for all of us not to put our trash out in front of our houses until the evening before the trash pick up. If you are leaving town ask you neighbor to take you trash out for you. Also taking your empty trash container off the street the same day as pick up is a nice touch. I am sure your neighbors would be appreciative of these actions.
7. Car Break-Ins … We continue to have a rash of car break-ins where an item/items of value are left in plain site. The bad guys are just walking around looking for easy victim. They can break a window and be in and out of your car in less than a minute … don’t give them a reason to break into your car. Keep anything of value or that gives the appearance of possibly being of value out of sight.
8. Town Hall Meeting … The Town Hall or Citizen Connection meeting for District One will be held on AUG 28th from 7 to 9 PM at the Dunwoody Nature Center’s new covered pavilion. Councilman Terry Nall and I will be your host.
9. That is all from here tonight. I trust all of you are enjoying this nice warm summer. Keep yourself up-to-date by checking our city website @ www.dunwoodyga.gov. Remember we are all neighbors so lets be kind to each other. Please pass this update on to your friends, neighbors, members of your HOA and anyone you think maybe interested. If you would like to be added to my update email list just let me know and I will make that happen. I appreciate your thoughts and comments so keep them coming.
Let Us Continue To Build Our City Together