1. Paving … The Dunwoody Park parking lot paving was finished yesterday. Weather permitting the remaining unpaved side of Dunwoody Village Parkway will be paved this week. First the aggregate (gravel) will be smoothed and compacted. Then the base layer of asphalt will be rolled on followed by a “binder” layer of asphalt, and then, as I previously told you, the finished layer of asphalt will be added over the entire width of the street. This should complete the paving for 2014.
2. Budget … The initial draft of the 2015 City of Dunwoody budget is now on the City website. To view the budget go to city website … www.dunwoodyga.gov … Select the “Home Page” and on the right side of the page in green under “Projects” the first item is “2015 City Budget.” I request you click on that, review the budget and then send me your feedback/comments.
3. Clean, Shine and Fix-Up Dunwoody Day … This annual volunteer event to enhance our city will take place on NOV 1, 2014. The start time to meet at Brook Run Park (BRP) at 8 AM down by the playground. There will be coffee and donuts, serve by the Knights of Columbus (KofC) from All Saints Catholic Church, to kind of “kick start” your day. Then it is off to work planting about 200 trees in the BRP (the holes will already be dug). Other tasks for the day will be to paint the remaining fire hydrants (if you see a fire hydrant that hasn’t been painted yellow pls. let me know and include the location), cleaning street signs thru out the city and general park maintenance (grunt work). A lunch will also be served at BRP by the KofC. Depending on the number of volunteers we should be done for the day by NLT 1:30 PM. Bring gloves, shovels, trimming tools, buckets, wire brush, clippers, stool or small step ladder and anything else you think you may need for the jobs listed above. To sign up go to our city website … www.dunwoodyga.gov … on the “Home” page the first item under “News” is “It Time To Clean, Shine and Fix-Up Dunwoody” … click on the word “More” and then click on “Click here to Register as a Volunteer” and follow the instructions. This has been a great Dunwoody community spirit event every year since we became a city that continues to enhances the physical appearance of our city with minimal expense … each of us can make a difference! See you there rain or shine!
4. Sanitation … There is a letter out from the DC CEO, Lee May, stating that the sanitation pick up for Dunwoody and three other cities in DC will be decided by the “local government bodies” which for us means the City Council. I don’t have all the facts but here is what I know. DC is leaning towards a standard pick up of the “once a week pick-up” … this is the “pilot program” that many of us have been participating in. The old system of “twice a week pick-up” MAYBE be available but it would be at a, yet to be determined, “significant rate increase.” I have results of two different surveys on the sanitation pick-up … on one survey the question concerned rating the “once a week pick-up” where a 10 is the highest rating and a 1 the lowest rating. Out of 46 responders, 36 rated it a 7 or higher with 22 rating it a 10 … 2 rated it a 5 and 8 rated it a 3 or lower with 2 rating it a 1. On another survey in response to my last update 18 favored ”once a week pick-up” and 11 favored staying with the “original system of three times a week pick-up.”
5. Election … The general election voting takes place on NOV 4, 2014 at your normal polling place. To get an absentee ballot application go to this website … http://sos.ga.gov/admin/uploads/absentee_ballot_app_20143.pdf … you can mail, fax, email (as an attachment) or present in person your ballot application to the DeKalb County Election Supervisor … see below for address, email address and/or fax number. Early/Advanced voting starts OCT 13th thru OCT 31st at various locations … dates and time vary from location to location. Go to this website for specific locations and times for DC …. http://sos.ga.gov/elections/CountyContacts/AdvanceVotingDisplay.aspx. Folks have concerns about the governments at all levels … this is your chance to have your voices heard … if you don’t vote you lose your opportunity to determine the outcome and thus the make-up of our governing bodies will be determine by someone else. Approx. 20% of Dunwoody citizens voted in the last election … folks we are better citizens than that! I Voting is so easy so please VOTE!!
DeKalb County Election Supervisor
Memorial Drive Complex
4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 300
Decatur, GA 30032-1239
Telephone: (404) 298-4020
Fax: (404) 298-4038
6. Upcoming Events …
OCT 9, 16, 23 & 30 … Food Truck Thursdays @ Brook Run Park … 6 - 9 PM (the last four Food Truck Thursdays of the year)
OCT 11 … Missouri vs Georgia in football @ 1200 in Columbia, MO
OCT 13 … City Council Work Session @ 6 PM and City Council Meeting @ 7 PM
OCT 19 … Dunwoody Rotary Club’s “Run Dunwoody 2014” The website to sign up, etc., is … http://www.rundunwoody.net
OCT 27 … City Council Work Session and Meeting … 6 and 7 PM respectively
NOV 1 … Clean, Shine and Fix-Up Dunwoody … See above
7. That is all for today so I best end this update. Please pass this on to all your friends, neighbors, members of your HOA or anyone else you think maybe interested. If anyone would like to be added to my email list please let me know and I will make that happen. Thanks for your continued support and remember, that each have stake in our City and we are all neighbors so lets treat each other with respect and kindness.
Let Us Continue To Build Our City Together