2. Swearing-In Ceremony … My swearing-in ceremony will take place at city hall on January 4, 2016 at 6 PM. It will be the only item on the agenda that night so the meeting will be very short. Everyone is invited and I hope to see all of you there. Maybe we can go somewhere for a “beverage” after the ceremony.
3. Town Hall Meeting … My first Town Hall Meeting (THM) will take place on January 21, 2016 from 6 PM to 8 PM at the Social Hall at All Saints Catholic Church. In addition to the meeting I intend to conduct a short survey. Going forward my THMs will take place periodically at various locations throughout the city. Specific locations will depend on our ability to secure meeting space.
4. North Peachtree Rd and Delverton Dr Storm Sewer Project … I visited both of these projects yesterday with our city storm sewer expert, David Elliott. The N. Peachtree Rd project is one of the largest storm sewer projects we have had since becoming a city. Good progress has been made on this project to date and the weather will be a big factor in completion …so, pray for dry weather. The Delverton Dr project is also moving forward, but because the road has remained open, traffic flow is normal. Request you please drive carefully and slowly in the these construction areas and also respect the property of the neighbors.
5. Paving … Due to the delays with replacing the water pipes on Mt Vernon Rd the good weather for paving has passed. Thus the decision to pave Mt Vernon Rd has been rescheduled to early 2016. As one who has worked on a paving crew I fully agree with this decision. The weather that we have now is well below optimum conditions for paving. Paving in these conditions affects the quality and durability of the paving job. As most of you know, hot and dry conditions are optimum for paving. On another note, the DeKalb County (DC) Commissioners have approved the Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) with Dunwoody for installation of the water line on Chamblee Dunwoody Rd from Womack Rd to Roberts Dr. This IGA is structured like the Mt Vernon Rd Project. The project is bid as one contract with DC responsible for supervision and payment of the water line replacement and Dunwoody responsible for supervision and payment of paving, sidewalk, etc. This Chamblee Dunwoody project is slated to start in early 2016.
6. Christmas for Kids … Again this year our Dunwoody Police Department (DPD) continues its great work of collecting toys and non-perishable food items to bring to those in need this holiday season. The DPD will continue to collect these items through Christmas Day. They need new unwrapped toys and gifts for ages newborn through 15. You can drop these items off 24/7 at the Dunwoody Police Headquarters located at Dunwoody City Hall. I encourage you to share you blessings by supporting this most worthy cause.
7. Donation Dine-In … All day on December 21, Marlows Tavern will donate a percentage of your food and drink bill to our own Stage Door Players. Stop in and get a good meal and a beverage and you will be supporting the Performing Arts in our city at the same time.
8. Communications … It is important that all of us stay informed on what is happening in our city. I ask you to attend as many of our various meetings as possible, check our website (dunwoodyga.gov) frequently, and sign up for Dunwoody E-News. Dunwoody E-News, which now has approx. 13,000 subscribers, is a brief email sent out weekly by the city and is full of information of upcoming events, etc. Sign up is easy … just go to this website … https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/DUNWOODYGA/subscribers/new?topic_id=DUNWOODYGA_1
9. That is all for tonight. Meredy and I send our greetings for a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah or whatever you celebrate this special season of the year. We also send our best wishes to each of you for a New Year filled with good health, continued success and most importantly …Happiness. In the New Year let each of us work to create an atmosphere of mutual respect that we all desire!
Let Us Continue To Build Our City Together!